Its that time of the year! Pumpkin Rolls are family tradition when it comes to Thanksgiving and Christmas. I’m pretty sure my mom would bake and sell anywhere from 75-150 of these each fall. It’s a huge hit when it comes to family gatherings, holidays, parties, or just to have as a treat at home. I don’t know about you, but I LOVE the smell of fresh pumpkin rolls. Oh my gosh! My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
Now, usually my mom was the one baking the pumpkin rolls. I’m going to be honest. I always thought it was too hard, or it looked like there were too many steps involved. Wow! Was I wrong? Yes! It’s actually so easy and there are very few ingredients needed. I sent my first pumpkin roll with my husband when he went to work and it was a huge hit!!! The guys said word for word, “That is the best pumpkin roll I have ever had!”
Before we begin, I like to prep. By prepping I mean, I’ll take my jelly pan ( OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro Jelly Roll 10 x 15 Inch ), use a napkin or paper towel, get a good glob of shortening, and smear it good all over the lining of the pan. Make sure to smear it in the corners good! We don’t want that pumpkin roll sticking! Next, I toss some flour onto the pan, shake it around, and shake off the excess. I like to line my pans this way. (you can use parchment paper if you would like instead!) Preheat that oven to 350 degrees!
Alright. Let’s begin.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 2 Tablespoons butter , softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar , more for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a jelly roll pan (15 x 10”) OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro Jelly Roll 10 x 15 Inch with parchment paper, leaving an extra inch of parchment sticking up on both long sides of the pan so that you can easily lift the cake out after baking (I usually just cover my pan in shortening and dust it with flour shaking off the excess, just make sure you get the corners of the pan!)
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. In a separate bowl mix the eggs, sugar, vanilla and pumpkin until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients to the bowl and stir just until combined.
- Spread the batter evenly into pan.
- Bake 14-15 minutes.
- Immediately lift the payment paper and hot cake out of the pan and onto a flat surface. ( I usually have a towel layed out flat with powdered sugar sprinkled all over it to flip my pumpkin roll out onto)
- While the cake is hot, starting at one of the short ends, gently roll the cake all the way up. Allow it to cool completely.
- While the cake roll is cooling, mix the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar together until fluffy
- Once the cake roll is cooled completely, unroll it. Gently smooth the filling in an even layer over the cake.
- Roll up the cake without the parchment paper. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate
Like I said, it may look like a lot of steps but it’s actually really easy to make! Just mix the roll batter and mix the frosting. The most important step is to make sure you line your pan. That’s it! I hope it turned out to be a huge hit like it did for me. Let me know if you have any questions!!! Until next time….